I’ve participated in the Library Day in the Life meme before, but I decided to do it again because some things have shifted, at least slightly, in my work life. So here goes nothing!
I’m the Electronic and Educational Resources Librarian at Belmont University in Nashville, TN.
8:30am arrive at my desk after finding a parking space and chatting my way into the building
- Fire up the computer and make instant oatmeal while waiting for the computer
- Clean up desk and unearth papers that need to be dealt with today
- Catch up on social networking sites (Twitter & FriendFeed mostly) and read a few links that look interesting.
9:00am Start to get on with the work of the day
- look up who’s paying for new ebooks
- fax ebook order back to OCLC
- check work email and deal with unfinished business from last week
- consider what kind of books and information the art education class will need tomorrow
- answer a random chat reference question
- pondered the schedule of events for the conference I’m attending next week (Electronic Resources & Libraries)
10:00am Off to man the reference desk!
- refilled the stapler, loaned out scissors
- added events for the TnLA annual conference to the Google calendar
- updated my conference schedule for next week
11:00am still at the reference desk
- started catching up on Google Reader feeds….still not done 🙂
- answered questions about how to use Word 2007
- directed a student to the photography books
- helped a student access a more specific database for her accounting paper
12:00pm back to my desk
- 13 emails in 2 hours!
- sorted, answered, deleted emails
- made some adjustments to the conference calendar
- played a couple games of Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook
1:45pm back from lunch
- Sorting through Choice cards
- talking with Music librarian
- shelving new materials
- pulling books for Art Education instruction session tomorrow
- entering December reference stats for music library
- helped reference librarian with the “Track Changes” function of Word 2007
- updated library’s pages with Caldecott & Newbery winners
- one last round of email checking
- check in on social networking – Twitter, Friendfeed
- make sure things are set for the morning
4:30pm Go home!